Saturday 12 December 2015

I got my rights back to my dystopian, post-Apocalyptic novel, QUEST FOR THE ROSE and have now published it on Amazon. It's a departure in subject matter for me, and was the first step back into writing after my illness in 2002.(From darkness a light can shine...an appropriate sentiment, as some of you may not know that in this illness I briefly lost much of my eyesight in both eyes and was suspected of having a brain or spinal tumour.)
QUEST has a Canadian setting unlike my other novels which are British Isles related--of course, this is where I grew up. I have collated all the childhood fantasy and the strangeness of Victoria BC (and yes, it's a strange old place--said to be more English than the English, with old mansions jostling next to native remains, houses thought to be haunted, high tea in the Empress hotel, giant whales in the waters, many ghost stories, a few imitation castles, spooky graveyards etc. It was even said in the 1980's to be the 'witchcraft capital of the world' and was known for the fraudulent 'Satanic memoir' --Michelle Remembers. (Weirdly enough, I went to school with the son of the shrink who concocted the devil worship hocum with Michelle.)
Even more oddly, the story, though fantasy, has autobiographical traits--the antagonist is based on a dreadful teacher I had in grade 5, the awful sister Elaine Marie. She believed in children being returned to a Victorian world, where just a look would curdle the blood and cruel discipline was necessary. Even if you were a GOOD, diligent pupil, that was not enough; in fact, she hated shy kids as much as 'bad' ones and thought it was her 'duty' to 'make' them 'stronger.' In truth, I believe she truly enjoyed tormenting children psychologically to soothe something abnormal in her own makeup...
Anyway, I know some of you are collecting my books, no matter what genre, so here it is, a mere .99p/.99C. If anyone has read Margaret Atwood's Handmaiden's Tale think of it as a more 'yound adult' simplified version with a similar theme--Canada in the grip of a post-apocalyptic religious takeover! I will be following shortly with a print edition but am a bit snowed under right now (and have a stinking cold!)
Thanks, as ever, guys, for all your support in my endeavours!
amzn.to/1QCwtqP New Dystopian fantasy available world wide.
A world of winter,ruled by a sinister religious order who keep the children of rebels as slaves...
this is the world in which young Esmerelda Midnight lives.
From alien teachers, and monsters in the cellar, to hospitals that amputate children's feet and desolate theme parks that come to life, a sometimes bleak, sometimes beautiful post-Apocalyptic world on the verge of total destruction--as the Sestren prepare for 'the Feast.'
Can shy, gauche Esmerelda stop them, by unleashing the untapped powers of the Rose of the World, hidden away by her tormentors for decades?
Only .99p./99c
‪#‎new‬ ‪#‎indie‬ ‪#‎dystopian‬ ‪#‎apocalyptic‬ ‪#‎fantasy‬ ‪#‎urban‬ ‪#‎evilnuns‬ ‪#‎schoolstory‬ ‪#‎victoriabc‬ ‪#‎canada‬ ‪#‎childabuse‬ ‪#‎bullying‬

No comments:

Post a Comment